Friday, September 17, 2010

Home Sweet Home

We made it safely to our new home in Cambridge Bay, Nunavut yesterday but not without some stressful moments.  Our jet in Yellowknife went mechanical so they had to switch planes to a much smaller one that was leaving 1/2 an hour earlier.  The crew in Yellowknife were not sure if the all of the dogs could get on the flight with us due to the smaller plane.  Thankfully everyone boarded the plane and only Blitz barked when the engines started.  My little Miss Molly was sedated so she was fine and if you know Hannah she just goes with the flow.  Mocha only made a fuss once during the flight but I blame that one on Craig as he picked up the carrier to see how she was doing and after that she was a bit restless.  I gave her some good scratches and that seemed to settle her down until we landed. The flight attendant checked on the dogs for us during the flight and 2 out of three were sleeping, I'm thinking Blitz was the one awake.  They did not travel in the belly of the plane as there was none so they traveled in the front of the plane with the rest of the cargo.  Looks like they take 1/2 the seats out and use the rest for cargo.  There was only 8 of us on the flight including the pilot, co-pilot and flight attendant, if you include the pets we broke the one digit mark.   Very smooth flight but it did take us 1 hour longer due to the smaller plane.  Couldn't see much of the Arctic from the sky as there were clouds most of the way but what I did see I loved.

When we arrived we were greeted by Craig's co-worker & lead hand Peter along with a good friend Sheila.  We put Hannah and Blitz in Peter's truck, myself, Molly & Mocha took a ride in Jim & Sheila's new Hummer and Craig took the rest of the luggage in our new Ranger.

Sheila took me for a quick tour of the community before heading to our new home.  We had a nice surprise as some of our friends set up the couch and chair in the living room and the beds, including the dog beds.  They also put up a picture of the dogs which meant alot to me and left a lasagna in the freezer for us to eat.  Unpacked alot of the kitchen with Sheila's help, she took the afternoon off from her job at RBC, thank you, thank you, thank you.  A couple of friends, Gary and Terry came by to say hi and introduced themselves and after dinner Jim, Sheila's husband came for a visit.  All in all everyone is very friendly and excited for us.

Craig is back to work today and I am feeling a wee bit under the weather but will still do some unpacking today.  I am hoping to head up to Mt. Pelly today after Craig is done work to take some pictures of the area to share with you.  Views from our home include Mt. Pelly and water, so you could say we have water front property.  The home does need some painting and that will be my winter project.  As I do each room I will post before and after pictures.

My first impression of the community is...yep I am in the Arctic.  No paved roads to speak of, alot of ATVs around and I am sure there will be snowmobiles once the snow hits.  To my surprise there is no snow on the ground and everyone says that is unusual for this time of year. One thing I did notice is when the noon whistle blows all of the northern dogs start howling, I was laughing out loud as my dogs didn't know what the heck was going on.  Judy you would of loved it!

Sorry no pictures today...yet.  For now I better get my butt back to unpacking.

1 comment:

  1. Been watching all day for your posting... So nice that you had a reception committee!

    The pleasures of Arctic travel. 20 years ago when I was travelling around the arctic, when a plane went mechanical, that usually meant they did not have enough paying passengers to cover the cost of the flight... :)

    So good the hear you arrived safely! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete