Thursday, September 23, 2010

Arctic Ocean

Craig came home midday yesterday to pick me up to get my Nunavut drivers license, very exciting!  Wanted to change the registration of the Edge to Nunavut also but they ran out of the forms and is waiting for them to come in from Gjoa Haven so maybe next week.  Different world here.

So after a day of priming our bedroom walls yesterday we headed out to see the Arctic Ocean.  Friends of ours, Gary his wife Kate and Ryan purchased a cabin along the Ocean so we went to have a look.  It's a great little one room cabin with a deck off the front which has the best view of the Arctic Ocean.  The ocean is fricking cold, I had to test the waters.  I still can't get over how clear the waters are here, I would love to get into a boat one day to see how far you can see the bottom.  Molly came along for the ride and had fun exploring the area...so many smells on the tundra.  She ended up way down the shore and Craig had to go and get her, looks like her nose took over.  On our way back we seen two arctic hares and Molly was, well you could say a little excited.  They are also called polar hares and can get to about 28 inches in length so when standing on their hind legs they are taller than Molly!

After that we dropped by our other friends Jim & Sheila's home for tea and something a little stronger for Craig, also to pick up some drop sheets for painting.  They have two cute little dogs, Paco (aka The Queen) and Boo which we love to visit with.  To give you an idea of their size, our cat Mocha is bigger than them.  I feel like I am going to break them every time I pick one up, not used to little dogs.

Today Craig is coming home for lunch and to drive me to the hardware store where I will pick the colour for our bedroom.  Hopefully the painting of the bedroom will be completed today.  The trim will have to wait until the hardware store gets in a pint of semi gloss paint - must learn to be patient.  If the painting gets completed today I will post some before, during and after pictures of our bedroom.

2 comments:

  1. We are so enjoying your pictures...

    When you think of how many sailors died trying to get to that point coming from the east...

    Gjoa Haven! I thought the head shed was in Rankin Inlet! It was such a nice community when I visited it last century. That is where Roald Amundsen spent a severe winter when he finally broke through to the northwest passage. The village was named for Amundsen's ship...

    You gonna apply to work for National Geographic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to work for National Geographic!!! So glad you are enjoying the blog just as much as I love doing it.

    ReplyDelete