Thursday, November 4, 2010

Arctic Dogs

Alright you all knew it was coming so here is my little rant about the Arctic dogs.   I wouldn't call it a rant I guess maybe a better word would be my opinion.

Some dogs are treated very well, living indoors, getting fed regular meals and getting some kind of attention.  I have even seen a small Papillon and Dobi with booties and a sweater on going for a walk.  Now I don't feel so bad when our dogs go out with theirs on.  Some of the outside dogs do have shelter and are fed on a regular basis and yes once in awhile the owner will pass them by and give them a pat on the head.

Other dogs are on a very short chain with no shelter and getting fed whenever the owner thinks about it.  I know it is a different way of life up here and I am not here to be a hero and to save all these lives. Alot of these dogs are not spayed or neutered so reproduction is always going on.  I have seen pack of dogs running free and getting into fights with dogs that are tied up, no chance for fight or flight.  I just can not get my head around the idea of why some people have dogs and do not look after them.

The Hamlet of Cambridge Bay does have a rabies vaccine clinic but only a handful of people show up - these clinics are FREE!  I truly think that they should go from door to door and give a rabies vaccines to every dog in this community.  My God that is all we need is a rabies outbreak here.  There is always the possibility as residents have told me that the wolves and foxes come right into town sometimes and again those dogs that are tied up do not have a fighting chance.

When asked I will do what I can to help these Arctic dogs.  There is a bake sale here on November 13th to help raise money to fix a donated building for the stray dogs so of course I baked a boxful of goodies. It makes me sad to think of what kind of life some of these dogs have, not all dogs here but some.  I wish I could wave my magic wand and give the life that they deserve.

The pictures today are of some of the dogs here.

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment