Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Land of the Midnight Sun

I started a tradition my first year living up here and one that I always am excited about but suffer the next day.  Molly and I (plus I drag Craig along as the driver) head out to take pictures of the first day of 24 hour day light.  For us it was last night, May 22, 2012, or should I say this morning? At midnight the three of us jumped in the truck and headed towards the Midnight Sun. I really love the lighting up here during spring and again in the fall.  The colours are amazing against the snow covered ground and the skies range from pink, purple and blue.  We arrived back home around 1am but I was up for another hour or so as like I said in the beginning, very excited to see the pictures.  I think if I didn't get one good shot I would be heading out again, with or without Craig.  Lucky for me my model was amazing and I got in some shots of her.  I did suffer at work today and was glad we weren't that busy.  The following are some of the pictures from last night.
 
Cambridge Bay, Nunavut May 22, 2013 at 12:30am

Miss Molly - May 22, 2013 at 12:43am

One of our grave yards - May 22, 2013 at 12:20am

Miss Molly looking towards Mt. Pelly - May 22, 2013 at 12:41am

May 22, 2013 at 12:16am - Loran Tower located across the bay was built in 1947/48 and is 189m or 620 ft tall.  It is a 4 sided beacon with each side being 59ft.

The edge of town on May 22, 2013 at 12:06am - First picture of the night

Miss Molly in front of Fresh Water Creek Bridge which is located on the southeast side of town and leads to Mt. Pelly and the graveyard. Taken at 12:18am

Taken May 22 ,2013 at 12:42am

Fresh Water Creek Bridge and the graveyard on your right at 12:15am
 
The snow is melting and the temperatures are getting warmer, before we know it we will be on our quads heading out to catch the big one. On most homes the snow has melted off the metal roof tops but there are still a few where icicles have formed and to tell you the truth there is nothing like Arctic icicles. 
 
These are just outside my office window - thankfully the door is on the other side.

Icicles and hydro meter - good combination?

This is our neighbours front door - I kid you not!  His icicles reach his door knob.
 
Another amazing thing that happens this time of year are the flies.  Yes I said flies.  You think they would stay in hibernation until July or August but no they are out.  I really noticed them on our house when I got home from work today and Blitz is always on patrol to try to catch and eat them.
 
Proof that the flies are out

Some do perish on the ice
 
The birds are starting to arrive back and many of the community members are out shooting themselves a goose.  Another animal that is arriving back on the island are the caribou as they arrive here in May to calf and then return back to the mainland once the ice forms on the ocean again in the fall.  I have put out my bird feeders for the song birds and Blitz and Molly always run to the feeders when they are let outside.  We have seen many peregrine falcons, geese: both Canadian and snow, sand cranes, gulls and of course the snow buntings.  Soon the snow will be gone and the ground will turn the many colours of the flowers that bloom up here.
 
They had toys scattered from one end of the house to the other this week - must be spring fever

Molly, Mocha and Blitz all watching the snow buntings
 
Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment