Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Winter Arrives

Winter has finally arrived in Cambridge Bay.  It started snowing here yesterday and continued through the night and still going today.  The temperature is not bad, sitting at about +2'c.  I noticed that they clean the roads here very quickly after a snowfall, not like our old address where we would wait a few days for them to come down our street. Some of the ATVs are now put away and the snowmobiles are coming out.  It is kinda strange that the bylaw states that when driving/riding an ATV you must wear a helmet but when on a snowmobile you do not have to wear one.  Don't snowmobiles go faster than an ATV???

The people here tell me that it is late for the snow and here I am thinking it is early...boy do I have a lot to learn.   An Inuit man told me yesterday that the caribou should be coming through in about a week or two.  Don't know if I will get to see them as we do not have a snowmobile and I think that is about the only way to get where the caribou cross.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  Anyone have a snowmobile that I can borrow?

As I am writing this our neighbour just got home, driving his ATV with a mattress on board.  Life is different here but I like different.  I haven't figured out what schedule we are on for our water and sewer.  Due to the permafrost there are no water or sewer lines, instead we get our water delivered about 3 times a week and either the same day or the following our sewer tank is emptied.  It is like clockwork, just don't know which clock they are working on.  Of course another thing that I need to get used to is the cost of fresh fruit and veggies at the local grocery store and I use the word fresh loosely. Heck never mind fruit/veggies - EVERYTHING!!!  I still need to figure out the food mail thing and get on a schedule for ordering.  Our friends tell us that Sunday is a good day to order as the food mail comes in by jet on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Last Sunday we were invited to Jim and Sheila's for a fantastic turkey dinner.  They are leaving for St. Maarten tomorrow and thought they have a Thanksgiving dinner for friends.  Met some more great people and seen familiar faces at dinner.  There were 9 of us and we did a fine job at that turkey, and potatoes, and veggies and stuffing and.......you get the picture.  This Sunday is at Gary and Kate's for another Turkey dinner and to see some friends and meet new ones.

Speaking of pictures, the ones today are from Sunday before the snow and the remaining are from today with the snow.

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment