Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This & that

I know, I know it's been over a week since my last blog entry.  I had all intentions of doing it but my computer/internet was acting up.  Today it's all good so here we go.

The sun hasn't really shown itself here for about two weeks, it has peaked out from behind the clouds here and there but not full out sun.  The temperatures have been good, still sitting around -5'c to +2'c as per our thermometer.  BUT there is always a but, the snow fell all last week every day, not alot of accumulation but it seems like every time Craig or I shoveled it was right back again.

Last week I was getting the front and back entrances painted and organized with Craig's help.  There was no coat closet in this house so we took down 3 shelves from the front closet and put up a bar so we can hang our excess outer wear.  We left 3 shelves for paint and tools that we need in the house.  The back entrance, the one that we use all of the time has a storage area on your right and the mechanical/laundry room is on your left.  The storage area had a whack of large hook screwed into 2 x 10 boards all around the room plus a shelf.  So we took off all of the boards and painted the room a wheat colour and carried that colour into the entrance area.  Craig reused the shelves from the front entrance and made a place where we can hang our everyday coats and a place to put our mitts, scarves, etc.  He also made a shelving unit and we reused the one that was in there, now the room will be ready for next year's barge order.  We also use this place to feed the dogs.  The rooms are now organized and clean and if anyone knows me I love a well organized room.

We finally got the office done, Craig made a wall unit which fit perfectly in between the two computer desks.  It's a perfect place for the two printers, phone and my photo papers.  We reused shelves that were in there for above each desk and reused the shelves from the spare bedroom to go on the other side of the room.  Craig's keyboards are now across from the computer desks and when we are down south we will pick up a couple of hooks to hang his guitars on the wall.  The only thing that is missing are curtains which I will check out Ikea in Edmonton.  This will be it for the painting until after Christmas, I only have the bathroom and the spare bedroom to do and I need a winter project.

I also started to go through all of my pictures and print some that I really like and put them into an album.  Problem is that the pictures are not sticking well to the paper.  I am using photo tape but I think that the paper in the album has a coating to it.  They are in the album just not well, I may just look into getting another book when down south.  I also did our first food mail order this week - should receive it on Thursday and will let you know how it went.

This past Friday I had my first taste of musk ox.  We purchased some ground meat and I made a meatloaf, it kinda tastes like bison, not a real wild taste to the meat.  Next on my list is caribou.  Alot of the locals are heading out of town to hunt caribou but I have yet to see anyone bring one back.  I am sure there are but I just haven't seen anyone.

The 'boys' did not get together last Saturday for a jam as Ryan was out of town so we invited Gary, Kate and Terry over for dinner.  I cooked 2 small roasts with all of the fixings and there was not much left when we were done.  After dinner we played some cards games and crib wars, Jim I hear you love that game.  It's a fun game and if anyone likes crib they should get crib wars.

Sunday was a day of relaxing for Craig and I - we didn't do anything but sit in front of the TV or played games.  A great day!  Today I just may head over to the Visitor's Center which is only two doors down from us and maybe to the Arctic Closet a cute little gift shop just up the street from us to see what they have.  Of course I will have my camera in tow.

Craig has his next trip booked which is November 9th so Craig, myself and the dogs will fly to Yellowknife as this is where we stored the Edge and drive back to Winnipeg from there.  We are expecting to be back in Winnipeg on the 12th. We have a list of items that we need to purchase down south so we better pack light and bring extra luggage. haha  He took 3 weeks off this time as we will be traveling to Edmonton on the way back north.  Can't wait to see my family and southern friends again - miss you all!

Todays pics are not really exciting, just some before and after of the work that we did plus our finished office. I am so happy that this house is becoming our home.

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment