Sunday, June 22, 2014

Mt. Pelly or Bust!

I know I said I wouldn't post another entry until Craig's parents arrive but we took the quad and the side by side out today, first time this year, and headed towards Mt. Pelly.  'Word on the streets' said that the road was open right to the park, so as Miss Molly as my co-pilot and Craig on his machine we headed out.  After some fun water puddles and bumpy road we made it.  Molly did look at me a few times when I got her a bit wet going through the water. haha 
 
Every year a pair of ravens nest on top of the sign entering Mt. Pelly and this year we finally seen the chicks.  The nest is not only huge but it's amazing how they built it out of anything they can find including bones, antlers, fur from caribou and muskox.
 
Mt. Pelly entrance

If you look closely you can see one chick

I wanted to climb the sign to get a picture of the chicks but Craig wouldn't let me, instead he climbed up.  I had the settings on my camera just right but somewhere between my hands and his the picture was taken in b&w.  Might have to return before they fly away.

My co-pilot Miss Molly

Miss Molly with the vast tundra behind her

With these warm temps the purple saxifrage are emerging everywhere.
 
On the way home we stopped by Freshwater Creek to take some pictures.  Just a couple of days ago there was still ice on the creek.
 
The bridge at Freshwater Creek

The green tone is the ice under the water - one of the graveyards is to the right

Flowing fast and furious

Spring run off into the ocean
 
After being out for a couple of hours Miss Molly was pooped so we decided to try Blitz in the Commander.  You see Molly is an old pro at riding but Blitz has never rode.  I needed Craig's help as I couldn't find the harness to hook him up so Craig was the passenger holding onto the leash.  Blitz did really well, never pulled or tried to jump out of the back.  This ride took us behind the Dew Line to check out the road to see if it was dry and clear. 
 
He looks so little in the back of the Commander

Now that's one happy dog!
 
If anyone of you wonder what a GSP birthday hangover looks like...well here it is!

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment