Monday, June 27, 2011

Hannah & Denise's Manitoba Adventures - Finale

I have been home since last Thursday and the trip back was good as I had great help from West Jet and First Air employees.  I couldn't of done it without them as they not only looked after me but Hannah and our luggage as well.  It's amazing what kind of help you get when you are not as mobile as the average person.  I had a RCMP officer push me to the First Air counter in Edmonton while the attendant wheeled the dog crate and two action packers.  I was also escorted by head of security and another RCMP officer through the back entrances of the Edmonton International Airport when the only elevator to gate 7D was out of service.  When I arrived in Cambridge Bay the guys were fantastic as they carried me off the plane, I do not have enough Thank Yous to all who helped.

The last few days in Manitoba were spent with friends and my mom.  Oh yeah and trying to get all of the stuff that I purchased into the action packers.  I did have to leave 3 boxes of goodies with our friends Sandy & Keith to ship once the mail strike is over.  I brought back some house plants as you can't find any up here so now the house has some much needed green in it.  I would of had more room in the action packers but I also had to bring home 4 plant pots to transplant the new comers.  Craig got some much needed jeans and shirts for work and I a few more shirts.

I have been playing it a bit low key since I have been back.  We did head over to Jim and Sheila's for dinner on Saturday night and yesterday afternoon I got the itch to head out onto the land.  Due to my circumstances Craig drove the truck while I kept my eyes open for any photo opportunities.  Not really what I had in mind when I mentioned heading out onto the land but I had to take what I could get.  So with Craig's help I did manage to get on my knees to take some pictures and some were taken from the truck.  We came across a Greater White-fronted Goose nesting by the side of the road.  At first we thought she was dead as she was not moving or blinking her eyes, Craig got out of the truck to see if she was.  He got a few feet from her before she got up and flew away.  I was feeling guilty about disturbing her but was pleased to see her back on her nest when we back tracked home.  We also seen a dead muskox and I am hoping it was old age and not any disease.  It was too far from the road for me to get out and hobble onto the wet tundra to have a closer look.

Speaking of muskox I was told today at work by my boss in Rankin Inlet that the future King and Queen will be feasting on our muskox while they are in Ottawa.  I find it kinda cool that William and Kate will be eating muskox that I handled.  I hope they like it as much as we do.  

I am just working 1/2 days right now due to the swelling of my leg and the pain that it causes.  I headed over to the Health Centre today as the swelling was not going down and it was really painful.  After Bertha (one of the nurses) saw me  the doctor ordered the cast to come off and more x-rays to be done.  So Bertha and Darlene sawed the cast off, then it was x-rays time.  Much to my surprise the ankle is not broken, just a small chip off the bone.  I could of kissed everyone there when I was told the news.  Don't get me wrong the swelling, bruising and pain is still there but now the ankle is wrapped in a tensor bandage and I still have to use the crutches but I can start putting a bit of pressure on my foot.  I am hoping to be back in full swing in about 10 days, if it gets worse I was told to go back.  I will take the days instead of the weeks and I can't wait until tomorrow morning to shower full body and to shave that leg and scrub the dead skin off my heal.  YUCK!  I was getting a bit depressed as I thought I was going to be in a cast for 8 weeks and around here that is summer time and I just couldn't bare the thought of not be able to head out onto the land with my camera. 

Since my return the weather had been cold and raining but if the weather man is correct July 1st long weekend will be sunny.  There is not much snow left on the land and the ice is melting.  The bridge to Mt. Pelly is closed as some of the earth has been washed away this spring.  Craig mentioned that an engineer will be coming in  to look at it.   I hope that they get it fixed soon as this is the only road to Mt. Pelly.

My new friend Sarah who I met through the German Shorthair Pointer group on Facebook asked me if I wanted to share some of my pictures of Molly and Blitz for a GSP 2011 Calendar.  Can you guess what my answer was?  YES!  Sarah and her husband is putting together this calendar to help raise funds for GSP rescue groups and will be available online through and I will let you know when they are available. I sent her 7 pictures of the kids and she loved them all, can't wait to see which ones make the cut.  Guess what you are getting for Christmas this year! 

I took some pictures from the plane, friends and of our little adventure Sunday afternoon.

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment