Friday, April 22, 2011

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

Don't know where the time went, can't believe that it has been nearly 2 1/2 weeks since my last blog post.  Can't really tell you where the time went, we have been visiting friends, working, playing, all in all a great time in Cambridge Bay.  The sun is staying up longer and longer.  Today the sun rose at 4:30am, thank God for black out drapes, and will set at 9:27pm unlike back home where it rose at 6:22am and will set at 8:33pm.  The sun will rise for about an hour more every couple of weeks until May 21st then it will stay up 24 hours until the end of July.  The sun is extremely bright these days but the temperature is still cold with a windchill of -39'c today.  Yes folks that is still a minus in front of those numbers.

Last week Thursday I had a follow up appointment for my wrist, it is still painful at times and it still swells up when I work it too hard.  The nurse examined it again and then said she will talk to the doctor and will call me later that day.  I headed back to the Health Centre on Friday to get fitted for this huge brace, it goes to the end of my fingers and up near my elbow.  I do not wear it all of the time, mostly at night and when sleeping as I can not do anything with it on.  I return in one month to see if this helps if not a cortisone shot is in order and from there we will see.  The nurse contacted WCB as it happened while I was working during the muskox harvest, they just want to make sure if surgery is in the future that I get paid while off work.  I hate making a claim but I guess it is for the best.

Last Friday night our friend Monique asked us to go to the Elks for a couple of drinks.  I have never been to the Elks so off we went.  Monique's sisters are in town, Simone from Yellowknife and Nicole from New Brunswick, their home town.  So there were the three sisters, Doris, Jim, Millie, Craig and I, a fine group of friends sharing, laughing and meeting new people (at least I was).  The Elks is only open on Friday nights, usually at 5:00pm for dinner or just come for drinks.  It is a small place that only holds 60 people so you must be there early or you may have to stand in line.

I have met some new people in town as word is out that I can vaccinate their dogs or cut their nails.  I did nails for an old girl, a retired sled dog who is 14 years old.  A sweet girl but hates her nails done, so I split the time doing her back feet early afternoon and then returning after 5pm to do her front.  I think she has forgiven me as I gave her treats in the end.  I also met a girl through work who is from Australia, she works at Jago the plumbing and heating place here in town. A couple of weeks ago Michelle was so happy as a puppy came into their lives.  Much to her and her husband's surprise their cute little boy dog was actually a cute little girl dog.  It was really funny and I felt that I had to explain the birds and the bees to them. haha  The puppy was really good for her 1st vaccinations and nail trims.  I don't mind helping people with their dogs in the community, a great way to meet new dogs and of course their owners.

We decided to purchase another Honda, actually a Polaris for Craig to use.  The guy that we bought the first one from had one more for sale, a 800 ATV that can sit a passenger.  It is a monster compared to my 400 but I am happy with my little red one.   Today will be the first day that I drive it as we are heading over to Jim and Sheila's for a day of oil changes.  Wish me luck as I have never drove one before, can't be much different than a riding lawnmower can it? 

Pictures today are of the new Polaris, friends and their dogs, and supplies getting ready to head out of town on the ice road.  Oh yeah and one of my favorite things...Thanks Monique and Doris!

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment