Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter 2011

I think Craig loves working for the Government of Nunavut as he is on his 4th day off in a row.  When we was working at the North Warning site they worked 6 days a week, never had a holiday off, not even Christmas.  We made the most of this weekend. 

As I said in my last post on Friday we were just getting ready to head over to Jim and Sheila's home for oil changes on the ATVs but a phone call stopped that in it's tracks.  It was a lady calling on behalf of her brother who's dog got her leg caught in the rope of the qamutik.  Not much that I could do but stabilize the leg by making a homemade splint and wrap it up.  The leg was in really bad shape, severed almost completely at the carpus (wrist).  First Air was leaving in a few minutes for Yellowknife and that 7 month old puppy needed to be on that flight.  So off we went, I in the back of the crew cab with the dog and with the help from the owner's son wrapped and taped it more.  The two nurses that were also there were great, they gave the pup some gravol to make her sleepy for the flight so that she wouldn't injure it more.  They also stocked up some of my supplies before I left.  First Air was great as they waited for us to get there, making the flight late.  The dog made it to Yellowknife where the vet assessed her and then flew her off to Calgary to see if the leg could be saved.  I haven't heard anything after that so I am hoping for the best for this sweet girl and her owners.

Saturday Sheila and Jim hosted Easter dinner and all I can say is OMG!!!  Jim is a great cook or should I say chef and the turkey dinner was nothing less than spectacular.  Marg and Cat were also there to help us with the turkey and fixings.  After dinner there was a game of Cranium with Sheila and Marg taking home the prize, which is...hmmm nothing but boasting rights.  After that we decided to put in our $20.00 each for a game of Texas Holdem.  I was the first one out but Craig was the winner in the end, taking home $100.00 and Jim coming in a close second with a winnings of $40.00.  I don't mind playing poker as we do not play it often and we only put in $20.00 each.  Another great evening with friends.

I must say I did miss the LeBleu tradition of Easter Brunch on Sunday morning.  We tried to call Craig's sister's place as she was hosting it this year but the line was busy busy busy.  We were thinking that the phone must of been off the hook.  We couldn't keep trying all day as we had made plans with Doris and friends to head to their cabin to clean it.  Their cabin was broken into last year and now it is up for sale so the clean up had to be done.  All I can say is what a mess and why some people would do such a thing to someone else's property is beyond me.  But with the help of some good friends we got it cleaned enough for someone to come and look at it. 

Their cabin is about 15 minutes away from town on Grenier Lake by snow machine.  But how did we get there as we do not have a snow machine you ask.  Well Doris made up a nice comfy spot on her qamutik with foam and caribou hide for us.  It wasn't as bad as I thought until we got close to the cabin and hit some bumpy spots, slow down Doris!  Yeah you could say we went flying, not off the sled but thank goodness for the foam and caribou hides.  I think that may be my first and only ride on a qamutik.  We arrived back at Monique and Doris' to find a feast of finger food, hot tea, coffee or hot chocolate.

My wrist was sore yesterday as I was holding onto the rope so tight so that I wouldn't fall off the qamutik.  To top it all off Blitz looked like he was going to vomit in the house so I headed outside with him with my slippers on. Yes I went ass over tea kettle onto the snow and of course landed on my sore wrist.  Can you say ouch?!

Today was a day of staying home and starting to work on the spare bedroom taking off the pink and purple wallpaper...finally.  I received a phone call from Darlene, one of the nurses here, regarding a puppy that was bit by another dog so that stopped the wallpaper.  She asked me to come to the Health Centre as that was where the young owner brought the dog.  She was about an eight week old puppy with a couple of puncture wounds by her hip.  Poor little thing.  So I shaved the area, cleaned her up and the nurse gave the owner some antibiotic cream to apply to the wounds twice a day.  Again the nurses gave me some more supplies for my bag. 

To all of my vet friends out there...WE NEED YOU UP HERE!  Just in case anyone is looking for a new adventure, we could open up a clinic here.  I can tell you one thing it would keep you busy.  Call me!

I hope everyone had a Happy Easter I know we did.

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment