Friday, January 14, 2011

Sun & Surf?

I first would like to thank all of my blog followers for joining me on my adventures in the far north.  At the end of 2010 I had 14 followers and as I am writing this I now have 21!  It's great to see that people are interested in this life of mine in Cambridge Bay.  Even in the middle of winter there is always something to photograph and write about.

Last Sunday Craig and I went tooting around to see what I could take pictures of and to my surprise the wind surfers were out again.  I have seen them on the ice numerous times but by the time I got my gear together they were done when I got there.  I set up the ole Nikon with the 500mm lens and started shooting.  One of the surfers came over to the dock where I was and introduced himself and said that the wind wasn't quite right for him to perform some jumps.  It is amazing to me that they have so much control of these kites, they could go anywhere they wanted. There will be another time for more pictures, these guys are out on the ice just about every weekend. I wasn't out there for too long as the wind was bitter and my fingers were starting to hurt.  I think I will head over to Cabela's when we are in Manitoba next to see if I can pick up some good but thin mitts.  I have my big Arctic mitts but it's very hard to use a camera with them on.

On Tuesday we purchased our first ATV, aka Honda, from a local couple who are moving to the east coast.  It was well taken care of as the previous owner is a mechanic.  I can't wait until summer when we can head out on the tundra for the day on the Honda.  Craig thinks it is his but I already claimed it as mine.  haha

Wednesday was the first sunrise here since November 30/10 but due to the cloudy day we did not see the sun.  Yesterday was clear and we seen the sun rise and set all in about an hour and a half.  It is not coming fully over the horizon yet, about 1/2 way but as each day goes by it rises more and more.  There is another blizzard warning out for today so no sight of the sun again.  The wind chill is sitting at about -45'c today so ya need to bundle up when out and about.

Last night we headed over to the rink to watch some of our friends curl, I think it was everyone's first time curling on the 'Twelve Noon' team.  All of them are from the east coast, no flatlanders on this team.  Looks like they all have a blast but some may suffer from sore muscles today.  We are not on a team but Craig may step up to the rock when needed. 

Our trip to Manitoba is booked for February 1st to the 24th, all we need to do is confirm the dogs flights.  Jim and Sheila are looking after Mocha and the house again.  This will be our last trip for a while since Craig is changing jobs he will not be getting those 5 trips out every year.  We will fly to Edmonton to pick up the Edge, probably stay a few days there to visit with my brothers and then drive to Manitoba on the Sunday.  On the way back we will be flying out of Winnipeg, kinda nervous for the dogs as they will be changing planes twice.  

Pictures today are of the wind surfers, sun rise, our new wheels and of the Twelve Noon team curling.

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment