Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

New Years Eve was low key for us as Craig had to work today at 8am.  We had Terry and Ryan over for some munchies, drinks and of course music.  Cat dropped by for a visit and then close to midnight we all headed over to the bay area to watch the fireworks.  They lasted longer than I thought and so did we, with a wind chill of -50'c is was quite nippy out there.  It was a great turn out, I think everyone in town was there to watch them.

Today Craig surprised me when he came home for lunch as there was a Bombardier parked in our driveway.  It was my only opportunity to ride in a $175,000.00 vehicle as Craig will be changing jobs soon.  So after lunch we headed back to the site in the Bombardier and then out onto the tundra.  It was a very cool ride, bumpy mind you but cool as it can basically go over anything.  It has no steering wheel but a joy stick instead and the view from the windshield is amazing as there is really no dashboard to speak of.  It's a slow moving machine but a fun one to ride in.  We did go over a large snow drift and I flew about a foot from my seat; how much fun is that?!

This past week I had my first experience with the Health Centre in town.  My eyes had been really sore, red and swollen and after my self-medicating failed I decided to head over to see a nurse.  Looks like both of my eyes were infected, the nurse told me that they see a lot of eye and skin problems in the winter here due to the lack of moisture in the air.  Lack of moisture you say?  Now that's an understatement!  Nurse Bertha was great as I was expecting a prescription for medications but instead she handed me some ointment and some eye drops free of charge and told me come back the following day for a recheck.  Today everything is looking better through my eyes.

I tried to take Blitz and Molly for a run this week.  The town cleared the road to West Arm so off we went after taking Craig to work.  Well Molly only lasted for one throw of the ball then I had to pick her up and put her into the truck, literally.  Blitz lasted about another 5 throws and then he started to cry and shake his head.  He was torn as he still wanted to play ball but he also wanted to go into the truck so I threw the ball into the truck then he was happy.  His ears were very red for the rest of the day but I think he is safe from them being frostbitten.  I really have to watch them as we were only out for maybe 5 minutes before Blitz started to cry.

The Arctic skies have been amazing this past week with shades of blue, orange, red, pink and purple.  At 12:04pm today the sun was 1.2 degrees of the horizon so it makes for beautiful skies.  The sun will officially rise in Cambridge Bay on January 12th at 11:44am and set that same day at 12:33pm for a total of 49 minutes.  From there things just get better until May 20th when it does not set until July 24th.

Tonight we will spend the evening at Sheila and Jim's home eating, playing games and maybe a drink or two for the boys.  Tomorrow we have been invited over to Marg's home for Sunday Brunch so the Holiday Eating will continue, would like to know WHEN DOES IT STOP!

I do not believe in New Year's Resolutions, I would rather live every day to the fullest and live it like it is your last day here on earth.  Happy New Year to all of my blog readers near and far and may 2011 be the best year for each and every one of you.

Enjoy the pictures today of the fireworks, sky and of my New Year's Day ride on the Bombardier.

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment