Saturday, October 17, 2015

Mother Nature's Dance

On Thanksgiving evening Craig and I headed out about 10:30pm to watch, in awe, the spectacular display of the aurora borealis.  I have seen them many times but this night was spectacular, with colours of green, purple, white and yellow, which we both have never seen.  The colours were awesome and the dancing was superb, so much so as I didn't know where to set up my camera.

We started along the bay and I loved how the green of the auroras reflected on the newly formed ice on the water.  From there we drove to the end of the airport runway away from the light pollution of town, parked, watched and photographed.  They were so bright that I didn't need my headlamp to see where I was walking or to set up my camera.  Pretty amazing. 

In case you don't know, the aurora borealis or the northern lights as they are commonly called are due to the collisions between electrically charged particles from the sun that enter the earth's atmosphere.  The colours depend on the gases that collide in the atmosphere. 

I watch a few websites to let me know when the lights will be turned on and this past week just about every night they were dancing, unfortunately we had some cloudy skies.  Below are some pics from Thanksgiving evening.  


Along the bay

Pointed my camera straight up

Purple and yellowish-green were vibrant 

One big swirl of green

Facing back towards the airport

All colours were present

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment