Friday, November 7, 2014

Storm Day November 7, 2014

There is no work for me and most of the town today due to the blizzard that rolled in yesterday afternoon.  The town shut down about 2pm yesterday but we stayed at work a couple more hours, had to finish packaging the char jerky and candy.  We knew it was going to get worse before it got better and most likely we weren't going to work today.  Luck has it the town is shut down and it's a Friday! 
 
I have experienced blizzards before, a good ole prairie blizzard is so different than the ones up here.  I guess it is mostly due to the lack of trees, no protection or shelter from the winds.  We don't need a lot of snow just high winds and that's what we have today.  At times this afternoon I could only see the outside lights from the house across the road and never mind the house two doors down.  It was supposed to let up this afternoon but no luck so Craig is staying at work for the second night in a row. 
 
There are certain things that you have to be aware of when living in Cambridge Bay in a blizzard, besides the obvious of staying put, you also have to watch your water intake/output.  For those of you who do not know we have water delivery at our home on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays and at the same time we get our sewer pumped out.  Unfortunately today is a water day so I have to watch my water usage as our next delivery is on Sunday.  I have 1/2 tank left.  

 
The dogs hate the winds also and it took Molly 4 times this morning to have her poo.  Poor Princess Warrior.  This morning when the light was a bit better I headed out to shoot some video and of course Blitz needed to come along.  Here's some video from today.

 
  
 
Hope these wires stay attached to the house
 
 
 Poor Blitzy Boy
  
Blizzard Window Art

View from my office - or lack of view

He was so not impressed with the storm this morning

Lucky for her you can't see the snow because of her powder face

Someone is looking after me today
 
Earlier this week I headed out to photograph some of the old Hudson Bay Company buildings.  There are around half a dozen around town and I wish these buildings could speak as I am sure they would have many stories to tell.  Cambridge Bay is actually a young town compared to others in Canada so we do not have many old buildings to photograph or explore.  I find it difficult to come up with new things to take pictures of when the snow falls, mind you the land is beautiful covered in white. 
 
This was my view heading to work one morning this week
Calm before the storm?

This is the same building as above just a close look

Did a colour select on this one as I like the red door

Looks like a old school house but I was told it was
Hudson's Bay Company building

Closer look at the window

The Anglican church just up the street from us
 
I wish this boat was still here - The RCMP St. Roch
This large painting is on a building across from the RCMP detachment
 
She was the second sailing vessel to complete a voyage through the Northwest Passage in 1940 - 1942 and she was the first ship to complete the Northwest Passage in the direction west to east.  She can now be found in at the Vancouver Maritime Museum in Vancouver, BC. 
 
I am working with our head office to supply them with photographs for our airport sign in Cambridge Bay and hopefully one in Yellowknife.  It's pretty cool to be asked and can't wait to see the end product.  I am also getting ready to show my stuff off at our Annual Christmas Bizarre in a couple of weeks. 
 
The days are becoming shorter, we are getting about 5 hours and 45 minutes of daylight and on November 29th it will set for about 6 weeks. 
 
Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment