Monday, November 1, 2010

First Caribou

So you could say I was a little excited when I seen my first caribou today.  I took Craig to work after lunch as I needed to pick up some baking supplies.  Of course I had to grab my camera even though Craig said 'you don't need your camera'.  Oh but I try not to leave home without it as you just never know what you may see.

On my way back from dropping him off something caught my eye on the right and there he/she was big & beautiful...my first caribou.  Not sure if he was a male or female as I believe they both have antlers. When they run I find them to be very graceful and smooth, like they are gliding on the snow.  He ran beside the truck and then cut in front, I was a bit frantic as I was trying to watch him, grab my camera and control the excitement of Molly & Blitz.  I slammed on the brakes, put the truck into park and jumped out of the truck and got about 4 shots of him before he was too far away.  I need a bigger lens!!  A local woman was in a truck behind me and she stopped and watched the caribou also, then she drove up beside me and told me to watch behind me as there may be more.  Unfortunately there were no more that followed.  I did turn around and headed to the docks to see if I could see any down there, I did see a herd across the bay area but they were too far for me to take any pictures.  Again, I need a bigger lens!! haha

So that was my excitement today.  I am loving the Arctic life; the people, scenery and wildlife.  I may not appreciate it next month when it is 24 hour darkness, but you just never know.  Vitamin D here I come!

Millie and her husband Andy came over yesterday afternoon.  Millie works at the Hamlet and they are trying to start a dog shelter up here with the help of others.  On November 13th they are having a bake sale so of course I am baking up a storm these days to help them out.  Sounds like bake sales go over with a bang up here, selling a loaf of banana bread for $10.00.  Someone donated a building to them for the dogs so they are trying to raise enough funds to fix it up next summer.  And you know me I will lend a helping hand whenever and wherever I can.

Tonight I want to go to the Arctic Closet as they are selling original prints, it is just down the street from us so it will be a nice walk and you just never know what I may find there.  Tomorrow evening Millie will be introducing me to some new people as I am going over to clip their dog's nails.  I don't mind helping people out with their dogs and it is a good way to meet new people and of course their dogs.

Only a couple of pics today of the caribou that I seen.  I still feel my heart pound when I think about it.

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment